10 Practical Tips to Boost Your Holiday Sales in 2022
Get ready! It’s the best time of the year for online sellers and marketers. As we embark on one festival after the other – Halloween, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas, New Year, and a few others – it’s time to prepare your online store to make the best of this year’s holiday season.
You might already have preparations in place including strategy, catalog listing, etc, but we are here to share a few hands-on tips to take your holiday sales a notch above. Implementing these tips will give your online sales a further boost.
So, here in this blog post, we are going to talk about 10 practical tips to boost sales.
Let’s quickly get to it.
10 practical tips to boost your holiday sales
Here are a few best tips to help you increase your sales during the holidays –
1. Reflect the holiday spirit through your website
You must have seen physical brick-and-mortar stores being decorated for festivals, making them more relatable and presentable for the holidays.
The same strategy should be applied in eCommerce as well. Your website is the digital equivalent of your physical store. So, you need to give it a festive look and feel, letting your customers know that you are prepared for the festivals.
It is also great for sharing holiday deals with your customers.
One thing to keep in mind though is to make your website easy to navigate on a mobile device. During the last holiday season, a third of all online purchases came from smartphone users (including 40% during Black Friday and 54% during Cyber Monday).
Moreover, you don’t need to overhaul your website and redesign it from scratch. Simply consider updating the website by making these small tweaks –
- Use festive images on your homepage and other pages
- Use graphics and themes related to the ongoing festival
- Use attractive fonts to match the holiday theme
- Highlight the holiday deals and offers
- Add Holiday elements to your logo
- Add warm wishes for the holidays
- Use festive and bright colors
- Update the banner image
- Add a few extra widgets
- Use animations and gifs
- Change the background
- Decorate your buttons
- Show snow
Making these small changes will ensure that your website reflects the holiday spirit.
2. Offer deals to your social media followers
Social media can serve as a powerful tool for any business. Every day, on average, users spend more than 2 hours on social media and about a quarter of users mainly use social media for shopping.
This represents a massive opportunity for sellers.
So, if you have a decent social media following, holidays can be a great time to build brand loyalty and boost sales.
By giving exclusive deals to your social media followers, you can thank them and encourage them to keep spreading your word.
You can also reach out to some of your social media followers and share exclusive discount coupons with them. This will not only help in lead generation but also help you gain more popularity and happy customers.
3. Nurture relationships using email marketing
Email marketing can be a great strategy to build a customer base before the holiday season starts. It is also ideal for boosting brand awareness and attracting new customers.
Let’s talk about a few ways how you can leverage email marketing –
- Use automation tools to send automated holiday email campaigns during the busy holiday season
- Don’t be promotional in your emails. Instead, try delivering value to build genuine relationships
- Use customer segmentation to split your email list into different customer groups
- Send personalized email campaigns to build relationships with your email subscribers using targeted content
- Promote the holiday sales early. Let your subscribers know about the various deals that they should avoid missing out on
- Don’t be afraid of using festive puns and seasonal emojis in your emails
- Share holiday gift guides via email to offer value to your audience
- Choose an email platform that best suits your needs
- Optimize your emails to make them mobile-friendly
- Write engaging subject lines in your holiday emails
- Share exclusive discounts with your email list
- Keep an eye on your email deliverability
- Share mobile-friendly holiday emails
- Test your email copy via A/B testing
- Use festive email designs
4. Organize holiday-themed contests
The holiday season offers a great space to organize themed games and contests. So, the next tip is to involve your customers in creative, fun contests and reward them for winning them.
Here are some cool contest ideas for you to explore –
- Give prizes for the best holiday picture submission with a themed clothing item as mandatory
- Boost brand awareness by hosting a giveaway, asking users to participate in a social media tag campaign
- Ask your audience to share paintings, poetry, songs, pictures, or videos
- Ask customers to send videos doing karaoke of the Christmas song
- Encourage your audience to share user-generated content (UGC)
- Organize a contest for the best pet Halloween costume
- Host holiday-themed personality quizzes
- Ask them to share their holiday selfies
- Start a hashtag challenge
- Conduct a holiday trivia
5. Bundle gift products together
You can help your customers simplify their shopping decision by bundling a few products that go well together as a gift.
By making gift bundles, you are creating a win-win situation for your customers and for yourself. Your business will benefit from higher cart values whereas your customers will benefit because they will have one less decision to make and thus will save mental energy.
You can also offer the option of creating customized bundles that users can create on their own.
For reference, check out this gift bundle by Duluth Pack, a company that creates outdoor gear and apparel.
You might not necessarily have a big profit margin on gift bundles but you are more likely to sell a lot more products using this strategy. So, another win for you.
6. Use video marketing
Video marketing is on the rise, becoming increasingly useful for marketers for generating leads. As per a report, video marketing helped 87% of marketers increase traffic and for 82% of marketers, it helped increase dwell time.
So during this holiday season, use behind-the-scene videos to help consumers connect better with your brand. Show your company’s human face by using reels or shorts to give a sneak peek into the backend operations of your business. A cute or funny marketing video for social media channels can be a great strategy for you to adopt this holiday season.
You can also use explainer videos or gifs to offer a product walk-through or share a product teaser. Not only will it grab attention but also increase the click-through rate on your online store.
7. Include countdowns to deals and offers
Businesses often employ strategies to create a sense of urgency and nudge the customer to make a purchase immediately.
One such example includes giving customers special offers and discounts but with a countdown. This prompts the fear of missing out (FOMO) among the customers, creating urgency.
This results in higher conversion rates as customers purchase the products sooner instead of waiting.
Here are a few ways you can use this strategy during this holiday season –
- Add a countdown timer on your sales page, highlighting if a product is going to be out of stock or not available for the same price
- Offer customers reward points when they purchase a product within a specified timeline
- Notify customers through email or text about sale ending or products going out of stock
- Display the number of products left in the inventory
8. Target your niche market
This is one of the must-try strategies. The premise is simple – Instead of targeting or trying to attract every single user, stay focused on your niche market.
This might reduce the impressions and the target market size but you’ll be getting better conversions and thus higher profits. Since your audience will be interested in your offerings compared to any random niche, it will result in better sales.
Here’s how to target your niche market –
- Create a buyer persona for your ideal client and try to figure out what problems they might be facing
- Keep an eye out on your competitors and look for their top-selling products
- Use tools like Google Trends to find out tending niches
- Identify the problems your product is solving
9. Highlight your top-selling products
Some of the top-selling products on your platform would probably do well with other audiences as well. Since many similar customers buy these products throughout the year, highlighting them in front of every visitor would increase your chances of making a sale.
Your best sellers have already proved their mettle. So, showing them often will attract more customers and increase conversions.
Here are a few ways you can promote your top-selling products –
- Make these products easy to access by either embedding their link in the menu bar or at the checkout page
- If possible, create a dedicated landing page for your best-selling products
- Promote your top seller through email or through social media posts
- You can also choose to generate content around your top sellers
- Display these products at either the footer or in the sidebar
10. Use holiday-centric product photos
Having high-quality product photos for your online catalog listing is a must. But during the holiday season, you must go above and beyond and use product photos that are holiday-themed.
This would add a much-needed holiday flair to your online store.
It can also be the single biggest factor in getting your customers in a festive mood and nudging them to purchase your products. Think of it as a low-hanging fruit that you can get to make a big impact.
Pro tip – If you struggle with product photos then DoMyShoot can be a handy tool for you. The app simplifies product photography for online sellers by giving them an easy and cost-efficient product photography workflow. To request a demo, you can get in touch using this link.
The holiday season is a great time for sellers to boost their sales. It’s the best time of the year as consumers loosen their purse strings for buying holiday gifts and whatnot.
So, all you need to do is be ready to make the most out of this opportunity.
The tips we shared in this article will surely help you make more profit. So, go ahead and implement them.
If you have any doubts or would like to share any tips of your own, the comments section is there for you.
If you liked reading this article, we would suggest checking these as well –